Site was updated to the newest version of PHPbb. Enjoy!

Spool Install

Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum
pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Build it or Buy it: Buy It

Spool Install

Post by pertneer » Sun May 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Most people use lockers in their Jeeps because they also drive them on road or prefer to use a selectable style locker. Since i only drive this off-road for the most part I am doing a really cheap upgrade, a spool.

I tore the third member out pf my Ford 9 inch this weekend to get an accurate count on the splines on the axle so I could order the spool. I disassembled it totally and sand blasted the casting so I could paint it. After a good cleaning and blasting I got right down to the painting. Here are a couple of shots during the painting.
This first one is just in primer.
IMG00135-20100501-1212.jpg
This one is painted with a nice black.
IMG00136-20100501-1212.jpg
Masking tape is your friend when painting something that has precision machined surfaces. I have had to paint many things at a previous job and have machined many parts only to have to clean over-spray off of the surfaces. Believe me the tape is much easier to deal with. A little trick i use to get the tape trimmed to the edge is not a razor blade, but to use a file. This not only gets the tape to end on the edge, but it also breaks any sharp edges.

I will be posting more information when I get the spool and new bearings in this week.
Jeeps do not break
they present you with opportunities to upgrade!

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spool Install

Post by pertneer » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

After installing the first bearing on the pinion I flipped it over slid on the housing and installed the other bearing and then the seal. I avoided using the crush sleeve in this install because I did not like the ease in which you can over crush it. I used a Solid Pinion Spacer Kit from National Drivetrain. This uses a sleeve and shims to properly set up the bearings. Since i do this from time to time at work it is the easiest for me to do.
IMG00150-20100504-0003.jpg
This is an image of the underside of the spool with the gear installed.
IMG00149-20100503-2322.jpg
After properly setting the backlash of the ring and pinion in the housing I replaced it into the rear end.

i have been driving on occasion on the street. It has some unique handling characteristics, but should perform outstanding off road. This weekend will tell the tale.
Jeeps do not break

pertneer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pertneer » Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 am

This is a great setup off road. You never have to worry about a locker not engaging because the axles are permanently locked together. I just need to figure a way to keep all the mud out of my clutch. :oops:
Jeeps do not break

jp_crazy
Beginner Fabricator
Beginner Fabricator

Post by jp_crazy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Don't you drive it on the road? It would work great offroad but would be really bad handleing on the high way. Did you have any issues putting it together?

Jeep-Fab.com : Disclaimer